5 Ways On-Demand Labeling Solutions Are Changing the Game
From fashion sales to food service to warehouse operations, forward-thinking retailers are constantly on the lookout for smart technologies that can sharpen their competitive edge. All-in-one on-demand label printing solutions fit the bill perfectly, providing abundant opportunities to deliver a better customer experience, improve employee efficiency and satisfaction, and increase revenue.
Here are five reasons why retailers can reap big benefits from on-demand labeling solutions:
- You can’t beat their versatility. On-demand labeling solutions are available in compact, lightweight form factors for fast, convenient printing in-aisle or on the move, while stationary printer options are well-suited for desktop or counter needs. Either option is ideally suited for a broad range of applications, including:
- Shelf labels
- Hang tags
- Markdown labels
- Contents labels for bagged or box fresh foods such as sandwiches and salads
- Contents labels for specialty coffee, tea, soft drinks and other beverages
- Bin location or storage ID labels for inbound goods
- Receiving and labeling goods while still in truck, outside Wi-Fi range
- They’re easy to use, right out of the box. With on-demand labeling solutions, there’s no need for POS, ERP or price book interfaces. Sales associates, warehouse employees or other staff can simply load SKU, UPC or menu item files directly into the printer from a mobile device or desktop, connect a USB scanner via host port, scan barcodes and print. Really, it’s that simple. An added benefit is that no WiFi connectivity requirement means no WiFi security concerns.
- They’re cost-effective. Say good-bye to the need for costly, time-consuming software development and application integration, not to mention recurring software license fees. All-in-one on-demand label printing solutions can be up and running in 24-48 hours – at far less cost than traditional, integrated printing solutions.
- They boost efficiency, productivity and profitability. The labeling solutions provide a smart alternative to clunky manual procedures in operations ranging from fast-food sales to inventory markdown. For example, a stand-alone labeling solution proved ideal for a supplier selling multiple fast-food items in convenience stores and gas stations. Using a combination printer/scanner platform to print barcoded labels for items packaged in the food prep area enabled quick, accurate scanning at checkout, reducing customer wait time. In addition, this approach ensured proper price capture at the point-of-sale, correct item sales counts for inventory reconciliation and more accurate production forecast data to help reduce shrink.
For a multi-store footwear and fashion retailer, replacing time-consuming manual markdown label procedures with a state-of-the-art labeling solution proved game-changing. Using data stored in the cloud, sales associates now quickly update a weekly markdown file that resides in the printer, scan the SKU barcode on sale items and print a legible, accurate markdown label. Rather than having to wait until the stores closed as in the past, the labeling process can begin late in the business day and be completed shortly after normal store closing hours. This dramatically reduces or even eliminates overtime labor hours, even when hundreds of merchandise items are involved in the sales promotions.
- They’re flexible and future-proof. On-demand labeling solutions offer a cost-efficient permanent solution for budget-conscious retailers. They’re also an excellent fit for rapid prototyping or proof of concept mobile printing projects, providing definitive results yet requiring minimal capital and internal development resources. As an added bonus, the printing solution can seamlessly transition to a more complex integrated operating environment should the need arise, future proofing your investment.
-Mike Lowey, Retail Industry Specialist, Brother Mobile Solutions