Amazon Introduces First-Ever Small Business Impact Report
Amazon introduced the Small Business Impact Report highlighting new details about the millions of small and medium-sized businesses that have chosen to grow their business on Amazon. Like the larger U.S. economy, small and medium-businesses are the backbone of Amazon’s stores, providing customers with millions of unique products – from handmade artisanal products to electronics they invented with friends. These businesses in turn support not only their employees and families, but also their local communities, from creating jobs to supporting local schools, charities, and other organizations.
In 2017, Amazon invested billions of dollars in infrastructure and technical services that help small and medium-sized businesses reach customers around the world. According to the report, more than a million U.S.-based small and medium-sized businesses are selling on Amazon, generating hundreds of thousands of jobs across the U.S. To view the report, visit: aboutamazon.com/supporting-small-businesses.
“Amazon first invited small businesses to sell on Amazon nearly two decades ago, and today small businesses and entrepreneurs are a vital part of Amazon’s continued growth and commitment to customers,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer, Amazon. “We’re excited to share more about these entrepreneurs and their success in our inaugural Amazon Small Business Impact Report.”
According to findings in the Small Business Impact Report:
- Millions of small and medium-sized businesses from around the world are selling on Amazon and more than a million of them are based in the U.S.
- Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon come from all 50 states and more than 130 countries
- More than 20,000 small and medium-sized businesses worldwide on Amazon surpassed $1M in sales in 2017
- Amazon estimates that small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon have created more than 900,000 jobs worldwide
- In 2017, Amazon lent more than $1B to U.S-based small and medium-sized businesses through the Amazon Lending Program
- Half the items purchased on Amazon come from small and medium-sized businesses