Cyber Monday Spending Tops $3 Billion for First Time Ever

Press enter to search
Close search
Open Menu

Cyber Monday Spending Tops $3 Billion for First Time Ever

By Tim Denman - 12/03/2015
Cyber Monday 2015 has taken the crown for not only the most money spent on a Cyber Monday, but the most money spent online in a single day, period.

Total digital spending reached $3.1 billion, a 21% annual gain versus the $2.5 billion spent on Cyber Monday 2014, according to estimates by global media measurement and analytics company comScore.

This marks the first time in history that total digital spend surpassed the $3 billion milestone in a single day. Mobile commerce is estimated to have accounted for 27% of total digital commerce on Cyber Monday 2015, with $838 million spent via smartphones and tablets.

The weekend after Thanksgiving also reached a major milestone as it produced the first ever $1 billion online shopping day on a Sunday, while Saturday sales reached the $1 billion mark for second year in a row. The two days combined posted particularly strong growth online, raking in $2.1 billion for an increase of 8% compared to the same weekend last year.

Cyber Monday reached $2.2 billion in desktop online spending, up 12% versus a year ago, representing the heaviest online spending day in history and the first day of the 2015 season to surpass $2 billion in sales.

More than half of desktop e-commerce dollars spent in on Cyber Monday originated from work computers (52.2%), while buying from home computers comprised of the remaining share (47.8%). Consumers between 35 and 54 years old accounted for 46.5% of total dollars spent on Cyber Monday, while females (61.6%) spent significantly more than males (38.4%).

The stellar Cyber Monday returns as well as the results from the rest of the holiday shopping season will be explored during NRF 2016's Big Show session entitled "Lessons Learned From 2015 Holiday Shopping." The event will take place Sunday, January 18, 3:15-4:00 pm in Hall E, 1E 16 of the Jacob Javits Center, NY.

The panel discussion will feature Scott Hilton, chief revenue officer, Jet.com; Jordy Leiser, co-founder and CEO, StellaService, Inc.; and Roy Erez, co-founder and CEO, Loop Commerce and explore what retailers got right this holiday season and what needs improvement for 2016.

For a detailed look at RIS News' recommendations for the must see sessions at NRF Big Show 2016 check out our free preview guide.