New York City’s latest flagship store includes a stylish salon and state-of-the-art gourmet kitchen, while bringing trees and greenery that mimic Union Square Park and the feel of an open-air farmer's market inside its walls.
The store may not be what you’re expecting, however. It’s the new Union Square flagship for Petco Health and Wellness Company in New York City, NY.
Last weekend, Petco hosted a grand opening celebration and adoption event, in partnership with Petco Love, to welcome shoppers inside the new two-story, 25,000-sq-ft flagship pet care center. The new location inside the landmark Tammany Hall building aims to combine Petco's physical and digital offerings, including a grooming salon, full-service veterinary hospital, JustFoodForDogs kitchen, curated merchandise assortment, and more.
"We're delighted to welcome pets and pet parents to this revolutionary flagship experience that embodies Petco's fully integrated, omnichannel pet health and wellness ecosystem within a single pet care center," Justin Tichy, chief operating officer at Petco, said in a press release. "Its distinctly New York design coupled with Petco's highly differentiated pet care offering brings to life the humanization and premiumization trends shaping the pet space in a way no one else can replicate. Every element is designed to cultivate a seamless experience that nurtures the incredible bond between pets and pet parents, making it a top destination for pet parents worldwide to experience the best in pet health and wellness."
Petco Union Square combines classic New York City design and architectural elements from various neighborhoods, featuring exposed brick, herringbone wood floors, and fixtures made with reclaimed materials, while weaving in the look and feel of the park and an open-air farmer's market. The shop also offers buy-online-pickup-in-store self-serve lockers.
Store experiences include:
- "17th & Bark" –Named after the flagship's cross-streets and inspired by the Union Square farmers market, the curated collection of premium goods for pets is unique to this Petco location. The flagship will offer Hiro Clark's first pet collection, pet and pet parent apparel from Andrea Cáceres, pet portraits from Ben Lenovitz, pet accessories from Lambwolf Collective and more.
- Vetco Total Care – The full-service veterinary hospital delivers quality care for every stage of a pet's life, with services ranging from wellness exams, vaccinations, and microchipping to dental care, dermatology, surgeries, and more.
- "Ruff's Barker Shop" – Inspired by classic barbershops, this salon offers premium grooming services tailored to specific needs. There will also be a dog self-wash station.
- Reddy Shop – Pets and pet parents can try on the latest styles from Petco's owned brand Reddy at a full-scale shop-in-shop, modeled after Reddy SoHo, complete with a lounge area, fitting station, and customization zone where shoppers can personalize items from Petco Union Square's entire assortment.
- Dog Training and Indoor Park – Pets can also practice positive reinforcement-based training methods with Petco's certified trainers at an indoor dog training park.
- JustFoodForDogs Kitchen – This in-store, state-of-the-art gourmet kitchen features trained chefs preparing small-batch, human-grade pet meals, formulated by veterinarians and made with fresh, whole food ingredients.
- Petco Love Adoptions – The flagship will offer year-round cat adoptions as well as other adoption events with local animal welfare partners of Petco Love. An on-site photobooth allows pet parents to capture the moment they welcome a new pet into their family.
The new flagship is a planned relocation of Petco's previous Union Square pet care center, which has been open at 860 Broadway since 1996 and closed on May 30. The new Petco Union Square is located at 44 Union Square on the corner of 17th and Park. It is now open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.