25 Top E-Commerce Power Players
The growth of global e-commerce presents fresh opportunity for retailers, especially for those forging the path to e-commerce brilliance.
Global e-commerce will rise 20.7% in 2019 to $3.535 trillion, according to eMarketer estimates, which also predicts by 2021 global e-commerce will approach $5 trillion. In 2018 e-commerce grew 22.9%.
Thus, Coresight Research and eShopWorld partnered to create the “Top 25 Global eCommerce Power Players of 2019” list of visionaries, thought leaders, and experts driving e-commerce excellence for brands and retailers today.
“Global selling is currently the most important growth opportunity for retailers, and we want to highlight those who are showing the world how to do it right,” Coresight Research explains.
Adam Sussman of Nike took the No. 1 spot on the list. As the VP/GM Nike Direct Digital & Geographies, Sussman states that mobile in particular has permitted the brand to “scale it all over the world,” while still remaining true to its cofounder’s vision of creating personal connections." Nike’s reach gives it a presence in over 190 countries and the opportunity to connect with athletes and consumers all over the world. The footwear and apparel retailer’s growth in its third quarter was led by NIKE Digital, which grew 36% globally.
The list named Marc Lore, President & CEO of Walmart e-commerce U.S. to its second spot. Since Walmart acquired Jet.com, which Lore founded, Walmart has focused on its global picture. The retailer has expanded its omnichannel presence in China’s app markets and broadened its reach in India through acquiring a stake in online retailer Flipkart.
Three chief information officers (CIO) made the list, Matt Carey of The Home Depot (No. 8), Yael Cosset, The Kroger Co. (No. 12), and Diane Randolph, Ulta (No. 13).
Home Depot builds its technology in-house and, according to Carey, "Our team is building some of the most advanced software anywhere to help customers shop whenever, wherever and however they want."
Yael Cosset was promoted to CIO in May this year.
"Yael is driving Kroger's business forward in support of Restock Kroger," CEO Rodney McMullen said at the time. "He is a passionate advocate for applying technology, innovation and customer science to make a difference in the lives of our customers.
Diane Randolph told sister publication CSA last year that she was “particularly proud of the work we have done in building a mobile app that complements and enriches our in-store experience by offering features like GlamLab, which allows guests to virtually try products.”
Each of these visionaries are true leaders in their fields. Click here for the full list and an in-depth look at each of those honored. Below is a quick list of all 25 Power Players.
Retail industry leaders and experts from around the world were asked to submit nominees to Coresight Research, prompted by the question, “Who is driving the successful growth of global e-commerce today?” The finalists were all nominated by multiple submitters and were judged according to criteria such as success in global selling, cross-border retail innovation, and influence in driving or shaping global e-commerce solutions.
For brands and retailers, Coresight Research considered each nominee’s percentage of e-commerce sales generated outside the company’s home market, channel usage within each market, quality of shopper experience across regions, and overall success in building a superior global e-commerce experience. Votes were gathered from participants across the retail industry.
1. Adam Sussman, VP/GM NIKE DIRECT DIGITAL & GEOGRAPHIES, NIKE
2. Marc Lore, PRESIDENT & CEO, WALMART E-COMMERCE U.S | JET.COM, FOUNDER & CEO,WALMART | JET.COM
3. Andrea Cappi, GROUP GLOBAL DIGITAL BUSINESS DIRECTOR, MAX MARA GROUP
4. Mary Beth Laughton, EVP, OMNI RETAIL, SEPHORA
5. Andrew Robb, CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER, FARFETCH
6. Julie Wainwright, CEO/FOUNDER, THE REALREAL
7.Torbjörn Lööf, CEO, IKEA
8. Matt Carey, EVP & CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER
THE HOME DEPOT
9. Nicolas Oudinot, CHIEF DIGITAL & INNOVATION OFFICER, GUCCI
10. Loren Simon, VP OF DIGITAL & PERFORMANCE
11. John Galantic and Gregory Baratte, PRESIDENT AND COO, CHANEL INC.; GLOBAL HEAD, CHANEL.COM, CHANEL
12. Yael Cosset, SVP & CIO, THE KROGER CO.
13. Diane Randolph, CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER, ULTA
14. Scott Johnson, HEAD OF E-COMMERCE/DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY, HARRODS
15. Abel Lopez Cernadas, IMPORT, EXPORT, AND TRANSPORT DIRECTOR, INDITEX
16. Jane Lu, FOUNDER & CEO, SHOWPO
17. Kentaro Tanoue, VP DIGITAL INNOVATION, FAST RETAILING/UNIQLO
18. Steph Korey, COFOUNDER & CEO, AWAY
19. Sid Jatia, VP, HEAD OF GLOBAL E-COMMERCE & DIGITAL, UNDER ARMOUR INC.
20. Stefano Valente, GLOBAL VP OF RETAIL, BURBERRY
21. Andrea Trocino, CHIEF PRODUCT OFFICER, ASOS PLC HOLDINGS
22. Rami Atallah, CO-FOUNDER & CEO, SSENSE
23. Julie Averill, EVP & CTO, LULULEMON
24. Andrea Dorigo, SVP/GM GLOBAL RETAIL, ESTEE LAUDER
25. Lubomira Rochet, EVP, CHIEF DIGITAL OFFICER, L'OREAL