Cyber Monday 2018: Top Online Shopping Day of All Time in the U.S.
But Cyber Monday was the real winner. The shopping holiday was the largest online shopping day of all time in the U.S., generating $7.9 billion in sales, up more than 19% on last year. That surpasses the more than the $6.2 billion in online sales for Black Friday.
Shoppers took to mobile to place orders on Cyber Monday, marking the first Cyber Monday where more than half of visits came from mobile. Mobile overall represented 51.4% of site visits (43.6% smartphones, 7.8% tablets) and 34% of revenue.
However, don't write off brick and mortar yet. As the online and offline retail experience continues to blend, retailers with physical stores drove 28% higher conversions online and Buy Online, Pickup In-Store (BOPIS) over the weekend saw a record 50% increase year-over-year.
Below is a quick look at the results from Cyber Monday and the overall holiday shopping season:
Cyber Monday 2018 Results
- The three hours between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. ET on Cyber Monday are expected to drive $1.7 billion in online sales, roughly $300 million more than an average full day during the year. ― Adobe Analytics
- Compared to Cyber Monday 2017, mobile device usage increased by 17%, while desktop decreased by 10%. Cyber Monday did not see quite as dramatic of a decline in desktop usage compared to Black Friday, and mobile actually declined slightly -- most users were likely in the office as opposed to couch surfing, shopping or traveling where they would be more inclined to use a mobile device. ― Akamai
- On Cyber Monday, as of 9:55 am ET, the top five performing categories by transaction volume included: Retail – 67% of all transaction volume today; Grocery- 14%; Services – 11%; Dining – 4%; Hotel/Travel/Leisure – 4%. ― First Data
- There have been more than 1.1 million mentions of Cyber Monday on social media in the last 30 days. The top Cyber Monday brands over the last 30 days are Amazon (over 90,000 mentions, from Amazon Echo to Alexa Internet) and Walmart (over 20,000 mentions). ― Talkwalker
- Promoting a one-date extension of Cyber Monday sales actually causes consumers to lose their sense of urgency - only driving a 2.7% conversion rate. ―Yes Marketing
- Marketing spend was up an average 109% for the full Cyber Weekend (Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday). ―DynamicAction Retail Index: Cyber Weekend 2018
- Throughout the five shopping days starting with Thanksgiving and continuing through Cyber Monday, Amazon.com customers ordered more than 180 million items. The best-selling products across Amazon.com on Cyber Monday were: Echo Dot; AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing Ethnicity; Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for Apple devices; Becoming by Michelle Obama; Jenga; and Instant Pot DUO60 – 6 Quart. ― Amazon