Grocery retailer Food Lion is making shopping easier for its consumers, beginning with a slew of remodels in Wilmington, North Carolina. Altogether, 24 stores, with five to follow, are receiving a massive upgrade.
The overhaul includes a special emphasis on e-commerce, with new in-store pickup and home delivery capabilities added. Additionally, the company is investing in training for its associates to enhance customer service.
Among the upgrades are:
- New self-checkout lanes
- Food Lion To Go grocery pickup or home delivery services (mobile app or online)
- Energy-efficient LED lighting and refrigeration
- A renewed focus on ready-to-eat and ready-to-cook meals
- Regional products sourced from local growers and manufacturers
Two dozen stores opened to the public on May 10, following a ribbon-cutting ceremony. The first 100 customers in line received a mystery gift card valued up to $250, free reusable shopping bag, and trunk organizer.
“Food Lion has been a proud neighbor in the Wilmington community for 40 years,” said Meg Ham, president, Food Lion, in a statement. “From a brand-new look and feel to more convenient grab-and-go items to make any meal easier, each store has made big changes with our customers in mind. We are excited for our neighbors to experience the enhancements we have made just for them.”
Following Grocery Trends and Innovations
Have you heard? We have a new grocery-focused event coming your way in just a couple of months.
GroceryTech aims to answer the question, “How can grocers replicate the ‘small neighborhood grocery store on the corner’ concept, while still operating profitably at scale?” The event will bring together the combined RIS and Progressive Grocer community of business and technology grocery execs who are on the journey to modernize their technology infrastructure to support innovation.
Here are just a few of the influential speakers you’ll hear from:
- Kirk Ball, EVP and Chief Information Officer / Chief Technology Officer, Giant Eagle
- Michael Criscuolo, VP, Infrastructure and Operations, Wakefern Food Corp.
- Kevin Miller, Chief Marketing Officer, The Fresh Market
Rana Schiff, Senior Director, HR Business Partner, Technology & Digital, Kroger